FM Fire-Safe Fusible Link Valve Protects Refineries and Chemical Processors from Fire Hazards
The FM Fire-Safe Shutoff fusible link valve assemblies from Assured Automation are API 607 and Factory Mutual approved for flammable liquids, and are commonly used to:
- To shut down hazardous lines when fire occurs, and
- Activate sprinkler systems to control fire
These emergency shutdown valves with fusible links (ESD) include manually operated ball or butterfly valves. If a fire occurs, the thermal link either automatically stops the flow of flammable liquids (in a normally open configuration) – or opens flow to release a fire retardant or divert the flammable material (a normally closed configuration).
The FM Fire-Safe is available with an electro-thermal link (ETL) which is compatible with most smoke or gas detectors. The operating range for the electro thermal link is 6-30 VAC, or 6-30 VAC, and requires less than 0.2 amperes of power, 0.5 milliseconds at 24 volts. The electro-thermal option is used with fuel and combustion control applications, combustion safeguards, and electro-signaling systems that are heat activated, smoke or gas activated, flame-energy activated, or activated by rate of rise or maximum temperature.
A unique, removable handle allows the valve to be manually operated locally or remotely from over 30 feet without affecting the fusible links. The removable handle prevents injury or damage from the high-powered quick acting handle in the event of fire actuation.
Assured Automation makes it easy to select the FM Fire-Safe configuration that meets each particular application’s requirements through its online configurator. Using the Assured Automation configurator, mechanical engineers can choose among the following options:
- 3 Piece Ball Valves, Standard Port
- Flanged Ball Valves, Standard or Full Port
- Butterfly Valves, Lug or Wafer connections
- NPT, Socket & Butt-Weld ½” – 2½” Ball Valve
- Flanged Ball Valve ½” – 4″
- 150# Flange (female), 300# Flange Ball Valve
- Wafer, Lug Butterfly valve
- Stainless Steel
- Carbon Steel
Thermal or Electro-Thermal Link trigger temperatures
- 165°F (74°C) U.L. listed Thermal link
- 212°F (100°C) U.L. listed Thermal link
- 286°F (141°C) U.L. listed Thermal link
- 360°F (182°C) U.L. listed Thermal link
- 500°F (260°C) U.L. listed Thermal link
- Electro & 165°F (74°C) U.L. listed Thermal link (Indoor Only)
- Electro & 212°F (100°C) Thermal link (Indoor Only)
- Normally Open (fail to close)
- Normally Closed (fail to open)
- NEMA 4/4X , Weatherproof, Intrinsically safe, SPST , NO, Red LED
- NEMA 4/4X /7 Weatherproof , Explosion proof, SPDT
More information on the FM Fire-Safe Shutoff * is available online at https://assuredautomation.com/firesafe/index.php. The online configurator tool is available at FMFireSafe.com. Assured Automation technical representatives are also available at 800-899-0553.
*FM Approval through Memry Corp