Thermal-activated Gas Shut-off Device
The FireBag® Thermal-activated Gas Shut-off Device automatically turns off the gas supply in the event of a fire, preventing explosions and the spreading of fire. When the outside temperature reaches 203-212°F (95-100°C) the metal alloy that keeps plug & cartridge together melts and the spring pressure pushes the plug against the gas opening to close it completely. No fire or heat detectors are required to automatically intercept gas flow.
- Working pressure - 72.5 PSIG NPT, 232 PSIG Flanged
- Working temperature - -4°F to +140°F (-20°C to + 60°C)
- FireBag set-off temperature - 203-212°F (95-100°C)
- FireBag heat resistance - 1,697°F (925°C) for 60 minutes at 72.5 PSI (NPT)
- Material and finishing - Zinc-plated steel
The FireBag is approved in Europe according to the standards listed below. No equivalent national standards have been written for thermal gas shutoffs in the United States. However Gas Technology Institute (GTI) has independently tested and confirmed the FireBag meets and exceeds the Massachusetts G.L.c. Section 75A of Chapter 164, Ruling #14899: Rules and Regulations Pertaining to the Installation and Design of Automatic Shut Off Devices. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (DPU) has approved the FireBag, as it meets and exceeds the
requirements for max operating temperature, with an added safety feature of shutting gas service down
between (205°F - 221°F) in the event of a fire. The FireBag exceeds the maximum leakage percentage of not greater than 1% as required by the Ruling; and has been tested not to exceed a 0.41% leakage rate.
- European DIN 3586 thermo activated safety device for gas applications (view pdf)
- European UNI EN 1775 Standard for indoor gas installations
- European Directive 90/396/CEE certification for durability in mechanical or thermal stress
- German DVGW TRGI 86/96 Standard for thermo-activated locking systems on gas heaters, water heaters & domestic gas fittings
- German Standard Muster-Feuerverordnung (FeuVo v. 02/95 - edition 09/97) for thermal-activated devices
- Italian UNI 7129 Ed 2001 Standard for fire protection & gas supply line components